Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mayes Decides On CD-1 Run

Arizona Corporation Commissioner Kris Mayes today announced that she will remain on the Commission and will not be a candidate for Congressional District 1 in 2008.

“I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to all of the people who worked so hard on my Congressional Exploratory Committee,” Commissioner Mayes said. “In a month and a half, I received the endorsements of nearly 30 elected officials in CD-1 and raised nearly $90,000 with commitments for much more. I am truly honored and humbled by the outpouring of support that I received in such a short period of time.”

Mayes, a Prescott native & Republican, said she decided to forego a Congressional bid at this time after thorough analysis & consideration.

“This decision was an extremely difficult one,” Mayes continued. “But at the end of the day, I had to decide where I can best serve the people of the state that I love and have the most impact on public policy and right now, that is on the Commission.”

Mayes noted that starting in Jan. 2009, a majority of the 5-member Commission will be new. “We have a lot of important issues on our docket over the foreseeable future,” Mayes said. “The Commission needs continuity and experience.”

Mayes said she looks forward to continuing her efforts to protect utility ratepayers from rising energy costs, to promote the development of renewable energy in Arizona, & to secure the state’s water supplies.

Commissioner Mayes stated that she hopes other Republicans will enter the CD-1 race. “With Senator McCain at the top of the ticket, our party can retain this competitive seat,” she concluded.