Thursday, May 15, 2008

Loop 101 Ramps To Southbound I-17 Will Be Restricted Until Early 2009

Drivers in the North Valley should be aware of both an overnight closure & an ongoing lane restriction on the Loop 101 ramps to southbound Interstate 17 starting this weekend. The work is part of the major expansion project along I-17, said the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT).

From 10 pm May 17th until 9 am May 18th, both Loop 101 ramps to southbound I-17 will be closed. Drivers who would normally use the ramps can instead use either southbound 19th or 35th avenues to Union Hills Drive to access southbound I-17.

Once the Loop 101 ramps are reopened on Sunday, they will be restricted to one lane until early 2009 while work progresses to improve I-17.

Drivers should also be aware that the southbound I-17 on-ramp south of Yorkshire Drive will be permanently closed to traffic beginning May 17th at 9 pm. Traffic will still be able to access I-17 by continuing on the southbound frontage road to enter the freeway at Union Hills Drive. The ramp closure at Yorkshire Drive is necessary to construct additional lanes on I-17 & improve traffic flow by eliminating the weaving of southbound traffic entering the freeway between Yorkshire & Union Hills drives.

The I-17 widening project will add a general purpose lane & a carpool lane in each direction between Loop 101 & the Carefree Highway (State Route 74) by the end of 2009. An additional widening project will add a general purpose lane from the Carefree Highway to Anthem Way by 2010. Several new & re-constructed interchanges to improve freeway access are also part of the project. These I-17 improvements are part of a comprehensive program in Maricopa County & are included in the Valleywide Regional Transportation Plan.

Drivers can visit ADOT’s I-17 page at
azdot.gov/ValleyFreeways for the times & locations of construction restrictions on I-17, & to sign up for ADOT’s I-17 weekly e-mail traffic alerts.

For general information about I-17 improvements, contact the project hotline at (480) 890-3055 or
projectupdate@lewin-associates.com. For a complete listing of freeway & highway restrictions across Arizona, visit az511.gov or dial 5-1-1.